Weight loss is not a do-it-yourself deal. Sometimes, when you are out of your usual environment, you get derailed. Your actions become inconsistent with your goals. This is when you need to program your environment for success. Find out more about how to create a supportive environment.
Have you ever considered giving licence to the people around you to police you in your weight management effort? What I am referring to is sharing your goals with everyone and letting them help you set boundaries and remind you of what you should be doing?
For instance, you could consider saying the following to your family and friends:
1. If you see me eating a packet of chips, please take it away without hesitation.
2. Please do not invite me to buffet dinners in fancy restaurants.
3. Please do not buy me big lunches or dinners.
4. Never say, “Just eat now and diet tomorrow.” Please respect that every decision counts.
5. Please do not offer me high-calorie drinks like milk shakes, alcohol or full fat hot beverages.
6. Please help me clear the table as soon as possible after each meal. I would appreciate it if you could rush me out of the kitchen and put away the dishes.
7. Remind me to floss my teeth thoroughly and brush my teeth immediately after each meal. If I conveniently forget, please march me to the bathroom.
8. Please remind me to slow down when I eat too quickly. My meal has to exceed 20 minutes, preferably half an hour.
9. Do not feel rejected or unloved if I turn down your food. I’d rather accept a non-food gift from you any day. Feel free to give me any of the following: for example jewellery, card, socks, scarf, tie, sexy underwear, flowers, a poem, a letter, kind words of affirmation, anything but food! Thanks.